9.29.2010

Stephen Hawking vs. God

Well-known physicist Stephen Hawking just co-wrote a book called The Grand Design.  In this pop-science best-seller, he and his pal make the argument that we need not call upon God to explain the origins of the universe, because the theory of multiple universes is satisfactory.  I will now attempt to summarize and criticize/debunk this brilliant scientist's work, which I've never read.

You might be thinking, "Jon, you're pretty smart, but you're no Stephen Hawking."  Agreed.  Your next thought might amount to, "You haven't even read the book."  Correct.  But what I have done is pretty significant -- my friend scanned a couple chapters and summarized them for me, and I read the book's wikipedia page.  I rest my case.

No, no, I'm not qualified to talk about cosmology or physics.  But I have a brain, and it usually works, so I'm qualified to talk about my thoughts.

My first thought is that this argument is ooooold, but by leaking to the press that the book would denounce God and using the ethos of Hawking's name, Bantam Books and Hawking were able to recycle it and make tons of money.

Secondly, I'm thinking his argument doesn't give us any more explanatory power than a creation hypothesis.  One classical argument for God's existence is as follows:

  1. Everything that has a beginning has a cause (or complex series of causes).
  2. The great host of physicists agrees there was a "Big Bang," an actual event that occurred a certain number of years ago, at which point matter and time first came into being.  In other words, our universe  had a beginning.
  3. Therefore, our universe had a cause outside of our universe -- something or someone that made matter and time emerge from nothing.
Hawking basically agrees with this argument, but says that "m-theory" (the latest version of string theory that identifies 11 dimensions in our universe) with an understanding that our universe is just one of many, provides a valid alternate hypothesis to the idea that God is the universe's cause.  Hawking specifically states that the properties of gravity would make the spontaneous generation of our universe possible.

But what gravity does he mean?  It can't be the gravity of our universe and its 11 dimensions.  That property didn't exist until after the Big Bang, like all other physical properties in our universe.  So Hawking must be referring to a "supernatural" (i.e. "outside of our nature or universe") gravity.  This is a gravity in one of those other many universes that we've never seen, felt, or experimented on.  Sounds pretty... unscientific.

My third thought is an attempt to understand the idea fully.  We can study our gravity.  We learn its properties and infer how a gravitational force might operate in a completely different universe.  We make some prediction, and (this is the point in the book at which Hawking humorously says there is ample scientific evidence to support the theory) we find that yes siree, if the gravity of another universe were such-and-such a force, it could cause an entirely new universe to form.

Fourthly, I ask myself the many, many questions that stem from this line of reasoning:

  • Why is it more reasonable/scientific to assume there is some other universe out there completely separate from ours that somehow -- via pure gravitation -- gave birth to ours (but remained completely separate from us), than to believe there is intelligence outside our universe that caused it to exist?
  • What caused that universe to exist?  Another universe with the same sort of gravity?  What about that one?  If we never trace back to an uncaused cause, we eventually have an infinitely old chain of infinitely many universes.  But since all of these apparently have different sets of natural laws (and Hawking admits only a very few could conceivably support life, let alone intelligent life), what laws dictate which universes will have which properties?  Wouldn't you need some over-arching "meta-laws" that are unchanging and eternal that determine this infinite chain of universe-spawning?  And -- hammerstroke -- where do these meta-laws come from?
  • How is any of this testable?  Provable?  It's nice that you predicted that a parent universe would have a certain gravity, and then coincidentally those properties theoretically would allow the generation of a new cosmos.  But it sounds, to me, a lot like the natural theologian's exercise of predicting (from nature, human experience) what a Parent Deity would be like, and then coincidentally it's precisely that kind of Deity who would create a universe that supports intelligent life.
The fifth thing going through my mind is how many critics of The Grand Design -- including many who are in no way sympathetic to creation hypotheses -- have shared my first four thoughts (you can make the case that this is no surprise, since I already read their thoughts before writing this post.  Touche.).

One Columbia physics professor said a few weeks ago, "I'm in favor of naturalism and leaving God out of physics as much as the next person, but if you're the sort who wants to go to battle in the science/religion wars, why you would choose to take up such a dubious weapon as M-theory mystifies me."

The Economist -- deciding to review a pop physics book? -- slammed it as well, pointing out that "the authors’ interpretations and extrapolations of [m-theory] have not been subjected to any decisive tests, and it is not clear that they ever could be. Once upon a time it was the province of philosophy to propose ambitious and outlandish theories in advance of any concrete evidence for them. Perhaps science, as Professor Hawking and Mr. Mlodinow practice it in their airier moments, has indeed changed places with philosophy, though probably not quite in the way that they think."

Renowned scientific journalist John Horgan said that if we believe the book's claims that we've reached a trustworthy explanation of the universe's origins, "the joke's on us."

Sixthly (<-- nice), I'm realizing how tired I am.  I really need to get some sleep.  So I'll move on to thought seven:

Stephen Hawking is a brilliant man.  Maybe the most brilliant man in the world when it comes to physics and math.  I'm sure I couldn't ever grasp the full breadth of most ideas in his book, and that what I've done above is almost certainly attacking a straw man.  But I can't help but wonder about his motives -- or others', like Dawkins -- for coming out with a public attack on God's existence.

Of course there are the typical reasons you could imagine.  They simply don't believe, and they want others to see the world the way they do.  Sure.  Maybe they see a lot of hypocrisy, or even evil, done in God's name, and since they don't even believe in Him, it seems like the world would be better if no one else did.  Okay.  Or the grandest of them all -- perhaps they are so convinced of atheism that, in the spirit of the world being educated and knowledgeable, it would only be right for the world to be enlightened and atheistic as well.

But why, then, are their attacks so full of anger and based on bad logic?  Dawkins is almost unreadable to me because he is so full of condescension and underlying rage toward anyone who's a theist.  Even Hawking is willing to imagine this multi-verse universe-popping scheme and then claim that it's supported by empirical evidence!

I guess I just suspect that in many cases, the crusade to refute God is not an educational or purely intellectual one, but a deeply personal and emotional one.  Or possibly a greedy one (the book in question hit #1 on Amazon the day it was released).

I don't know how to best generate conversation about this, except that I would love to hear any and all thoughts regarding the book (if you've read it... or skimmed wikipedia), the existence of God, and the above arguments for and against God's existence.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks man -- how timely! I went ahead and added it as an in-text link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm too dumb to add any of my own thoughts to this, so I will quote a Christian economist I read who reviewed this book about a week back, and then connect it to one of your points:

    "It is foolish to claim that “we’ve finally solved the mystery of existence.” Quantum theory itself can’t explain why quantum theory should be true."

    Essentially, he was using a point similar to one of yours. We only know the rules of quantum theory because of what we have observed in our own physical world. If there was no physical world, then those rules would probably NOT be true. Hawking's argument ultimately fails to achieve what he thinks it achieves, because it is a circular argument.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon,

    Have you ever heard of John Polkinghorne? I've listened to a few lectures by him, and I think he's really good. He's an Anglican priest who is major, major force in the physics world. He talks about quantum theory, multiverse, and more from a Christian perspective. You might find this site helpful. It has lots of lectures about science/religion, and they're from the UK, so, if nothing else, their accents are cool. http://graphite.st-edmunds.cam.ac.uk/faraday/Multimedia.php

    Do you really think that, e.g., Dawkins, is as antagonistic as he's usually portrayed? I read his "Greatest Show on Earth" this summer, and I thought that he, for instance, really only took low blows at the Young Earth Creationists (YECs). There's a pretty good interview that he does on YouTube with Alister McGrath (a theistic evolutionist [TE]) where he's very cordial and civil. I wonder, sometimes, if this whole "New Atheism" thing is really as "fierce" as it appears to be. It seems to me that they just want to be extra antagonistic for book sales and lectureships....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Religion and science are not mutually exclusive. I'm not sure entirely of where I fall in terms of my own beliefs, but it is a continuing process. Here are a few thoughts I've encountered; whether I accept them or not I will not say.

    It seems pretty empirically clear that the earth is significantly older than 10,000 years, but that does not inherently invalidate the creationist theory. We have discovered materials which are significantly older based exclusively on the particle decay of certain carbon structures. We know the Earth is older than 10,000 years, but just because we know this doesn't mean the biblical world is inherently wrong. In all likelihood, men didn't live for hundreds of years and there is either a conversion error or a misunderstanding of the passage of time. As such, any biblically-derived timeline may be inherently flawed because of the unusual lengths of time used for measuring time.

    Consider that the first three "days" of creation did not actually involve the sun and moon - the yardsticks of what constitutes a day by common parlance. Who knows how long those first three days were? If moon didn't exist, and the sun was never there for the earth to revolve around, how long could a day have been? We could say every 24 hour period was a day, but even our concept of time is based on divisions of the time it takes us to spin around and face the sun again. But if there was none... Ultimately, we simply do not know because we were not there during the creation of the earth.

    And consider, too, Day 5. The sea creatures and creatures of flight are created. Evolution suggests that sea creatures are singularly responsible for spawning the amoeba which becomes, by a shortened list, amphibians with striking resemblances to reptiles - who are often cited as the predecessors of creatures of flight - to primates and then humans. Humans weren't created until Day 6, so what's to say that Day 5 lasted several million years?

    Furthermore, as capstone idea for the other stuff I just said, it seems entirely plausible that the YECs and creationists in general - and the Bible for that matter - may well be describing the period of re-population after the Younger Dryas mini ice-age. Consider that. First, the world existed but it was dark, cold and seemingly lifeless. Then, the sun came back out, plant life flourished again, and animals roamed around. Man, being intrepid and discovering their clearly superior intelligence, corralled them, harvested them, caught them, etc. and then repopulated the earth, the first new generations "post-creation" otherwise inexplicably meeting other humans.

    Life exploded in a fairly short period of time after having barely existed at all. It sounds like a great case of mythological reasoning to explain scientific events. Religion is merely that - the creation of "supernatural" or "extra-universal" explanations for otherwise inexplicable occurrences which form a precise philosophy describing the manner in which one can assure absolution/salvation or total knowledge, and which seeks to assert its own superiority through conversion.

    I highly recommend religion; it seems to be working out pretty good for me so far though I am disenchanted with most modern organized structures. And religion appears to be the ultimate end of our society, though the form it will take may not appear even remotely similar to what we believe of religion now.

    It just seems entirely too silly to claim such independence from religious manners of thinking when the same can be said for the ultimate belief structure of most evolutionists. They base the majority of their beliefs around the writings of one or a few individuals who was using a certain method of describing variances from the known world. It may not be religion, per se, but it's certainly a familiar process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicholas,

    Interesting thoughts. Since you're not commenting positively or negatively on some of the things you presented, I will give it a stab. :)

    I think that "concordism" is a very silly position (=that we can find justification of modern scientific theories in the Bible). This doesn't make sense of how the Bible was originally written: as an ancient text by an ancient author to an ancient audience. Some people like to argue that that's how the divine inspiration of Scripture works: the Spirit puts meaning into the text that is later revealed to a subsequent audience. But to apply that in this context, to be brief, I think is just wrong.

    Also, I think if you read the Old Testament in light of its Ancient Near Eastern (ANE) context, it makes far more sense. It seems to me that many passages are polemics against the ANE perspectives (e.g., Genesis 1/Enuma Elish; Gen 5/Sumerian Kings List; 10 Plagues/Egyptian gods; etc.). So to take Gen 1 as a straightforward historical account that is a genre analogue to modern historiography simply forsakes the context.

    If anyone is interested in a reading of Gen 1 in the context of the ANE and its ancient genre, I HIGHLY recommend John Walton's "The Lost World of Genesis 1." It's very readable, deals with the biblical data, and then looks to application in our contemporary context (re: evolution, creationism education, etc.). He adapts and expands on the "Framework Hypothesis" (as opposed to YEC, Old Earth Creationism, etc.).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Framework_hypothesis

    ReplyDelete
  6. • Secondly: #3 something or someone that made matter and time emerge from nothing.
    Exactly, someone or something. Nothing else you said adds anything to the case for it being a someone.
    • Fourthly: Why is it more reasonable/scientific to assume that some other universe gave birth to ours than to believe it was an intelligence?
    Because you would be staying within the confines of a natural universe. The recent theories in physics are expanding our notion of what the universe is, that is, what we know of since the Big Bang should now be called the “known universe”, and we are starting to understanding what came before that and what is outside of it. To say that what came before that was an intelligent being capable of creating universes could possibly be considered part of the natural universe, but it would be an extremely remote possibility. To have a theory with some math to support is much less remote and thus more reasonable/scientific.
    The rest of your line of reasoning could lead to any conclusion you want.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's a nice link if you want the one hour version of how something comes nothing. "Nothing" means something different to a physicists.

    http://edthemanicstreetpreacher.wordpress.com/2010/04/28/lawrence-krauss-a-universe-from-nothing/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comments, Lausten. I'll check out the blog you linked. Here are my first thoughts to what you said (I'm too tired to think much about them now, and too impatient to wait til later to respond):

    "Secondly": yeah I agree with you completely. I made no effort to support the "someone" hypothesis. I was just making a starting point to discuss that the universe had an outside cause.

    "Fourthly": this is where I stop agreeing with you, I think. In most (or all) fields of academic inquiry, people are voracious to find results that will support their preconceived notions, worldviews, beliefs, etc. I'm not saying we should paint all scientists as biased, throw out their conclusions, and embrace anti-intellectualism -- far from it. I love research, study, and learning.

    But what I am saying is that when you say "we are starting to understanding what came before [the Big Bang] and what is outside of it," I can't help but think it is the naturalist in you speaking. I'm not a physicist (I did get a physics minor, so I sort of dabble), but I haven't seen anything remotely compelling to support that quotation.

    But maybe Ed's streetpreaching blog can provide something compelling. I'm interested to check it out when my eyes can stay open, which isn't right now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure what you mean by "naturalist in me", do you think there is a little man in a wide brimmed brown hat living inside me who will show you around and explain the history of my organs?

    So, what would be remotely compelling to support the idea that there are many high ranking scientist, working every day, and checking each others work, using a refined method of experimentation that are making progress to understand not only what is commonly called the Big Bang, but what came before it?

    The street preacher blog is just where the video of one of those scientist happens to be located. I don't necessarily endorse Ed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry about the naturalist remark. I was tired. Forgive me. And no, I don't think you have a wide-brim hat inside you, or a man wearing one. I think it's pretty clear I meant that you, or anyone with a naturalist worldview, is quick to inflate the progress or importance of findings that support naturalism (the same way I do that for findings that support, for instance, the Bible's reliability). Another example is how you describe our understanding of pre-Big Bang as... well, as the way you just described it. Refined experimentation? Peer review? You think those things have given us actual knowledge of before the Big Bang?

    But to answer your question, what would be compelling to me would be things that are normally compelling to people -- the vast consensus of scientists; experiments that are relevant, repeatable, and make sense to me; an actual visible, perceivable, or creatable presence of another universe.

    Certainly not a blogger telling me to trust him that scientists out there understand pre-Big Bang. But of course I know I'm woefully ignorant of their research and I am sincerely interested in hearing about it a la the link you posted.

    And again, I'm sorry if anything I wrote last night offended you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. No apologies necessary, keeping it light. Obviously you shouldn't accept my words as scientific evidence. It is just my opinion that Stephen Hawking is an authority that I am willing to accept, not as gospel, but a better authority on the origins of the universe than the Bible. I don't need to see another universe, or see one being created to accept that the theories are good.

    Every person can't know everything, so we have to figure out how we decide what to trust. It seems we are pretty different in how we determine that.

    ReplyDelete