12.17.2010

Christmas Eve Eve

People love Christmas, right?  They're all about it.  At this point I wonder why I'm using the third person -- I love it too.  We merrily sing "it's the most wonderful time of the year," and I don't ever find myself scratching my head and thinking, "I prefer March."

There are many reasons why people from all backgrounds love the Christmas season, but the tangent we are about to take isn't ambitious enough to tackle them all.  Without any further adieu, let's just get on with it: I think that along with the remembrance of Jesus' birth and the rampant giving and receiving of presents, one of the things that tugs at our heart at Christmas is Tradition.

The word "tradition" has lost some of its former glory.  Things, people, and institutions that are "traditional" seem to be boring, stuffy, or old-fashioned.  But at Christmas, Tradition steps back into the spotlight.  We appreciate its nostalgia, its familiarity, and its comfort.  And, if we're lucky, we may even have the chance to start new Christmas traditions...


The greatest Christmas tradition ever

It was 5 or 6 years ago (the record is unclear).  For some reason, my two friends (Zach and Chris) and I had the house to ourselves on December 23.  So we started to do what was somewhat common for us back then -- play games well into the night, then go to sleep in my room.
  • [Tangent-within-a-tangent: I had bunk beds -- yes, when I went home to my Mom's house during college, I slept in a bunk bed.  It was funny when I'd have two friends stay over, which happened a lot.  I'd always sleep in the bottom bunk, and one guy would get the top one and the other would be on the floor.  I never really bothered to think about how they always worked it out, but I'm sure it was a moral dilemma that, if studied, would be quite fascinating.]
So it was probably around 2am when we settled into the bunk bed/floor setup.  But of course we talked once there, and our conversation was particularly lively that night.  Eventually, since spirits were high and none of us was close to falling asleep, one of the other two (the record is again surprisingly unclear; I'm guessing Chris) spoke these fateful words:

"I have an idea.  You can shoot it down if you want.  But what if we go back downstairs, and just play games... ALL.. NIGHT.. LONG?!"

A long pause.

Zach (if my memory is to be believed): I'm not going to be able to sleep tomorrow, I have family stuff, but... Let's do it!!  I'm in!!

This next part makes very little sense.  We got up and ran downstairs in a frenzy, and in the process the other two guys took off their shirts so they could run around like tribal warriors or something.  This is the opposite of everything I stand for (I guess I stand mainly for clothedness and civility), but in the chaos of the moment I had to go along with it.

Anyway, we played games until 6am and then went to McDonald's for Christmas Eve breakfast.  And thus, the tradition of Christmas Eve Eve was born.


My tradition, your traditions

The cast of characters for Christmas Eve Eve changes each year.  Chris and I are the only people who have been to every one (his absence from CEE in Orlando last year has been stricken from the record, since I stole the event and took it to Florida).  But every year we play games all night long on December 23 and, if there's a McDonald's nearby, we get breakfast there.
  • You're invited!  Seriously, if you read this blog, you are qualified to take part in the festivities.  Let me know if you're interested and I'll get you the details.  You're not required to stay all night and get breakfast, but I don't think you'll want to leave once you've experienced the fun of CEE.
  • What Christmas traditions do you love??

                                                         Jon

(a CEE favorite)

4 comments:

  1. As much I enjoyed reading the origins of this incredible tradition, I was thinking I was going to be getting insight as to these new ideas Chris and you have..now I'm a little disappointed. I suppose I'll just have to wait til I respond to you on facebook chat 2 minutes from now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where's Christmas Eve Eve this year?!

    Another hilarious tradition...your gifts to Abby. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are not enough oblique references or outright jokes about Jews in this Tangent.

    (Relax - I clearly mean Fiddler on the Roof, "Trrah-dish-unnnnnnn! Trrahdishun!)

    My favorite has been going home. It's not really a tradition, per se, but for the last 7 years Christmas has involved my triumphant return to my parents from (fill in location). Most people hit this point in their lives and branch out on their own. A large percentage of my friends within my age bracket are all married, so it makes sense to start new phases of their life. But I'm not and Christmas involves spending time with my parents and sister. I'm glad for it every year and I look forward to expanding my second favorite tradition...

    ...which I've participated in for all 25 of my prior Christmases is that on Christmas morning, I'd wake up in my parents house, wait on the stairs until my parents checked that Santa came (tangent within a comment-tangent? - I still do this. It just feels right.) and then we'd open presents. Shortly afterward, we'd pile in the car and drive to, ironically enough for the last two years as I live here now, Akron OH to visit my mom's grandparents and my big, sarcastic, loud, obnoxious, loving, opinionated, awesome Italian family. This will be the first year do do not do that as TN is 9 hours distant from Akron, and it is sad to break tradition. But, I look forward to doing the same thing with my future wife and children...so long as my parents live closer to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. Christmas Eve my mom gives my two brothers and I matching PJs. (We'll see how she incorporates the new wife and fiancée in just a few days.) We then put them on and take funny pics in front of the Christmas tree.

    2. We typically put the manger out after reading the Christmas story. Word to the wise, boys should not be in charge of anything serious. The donkey's are eating hay from the manger... Shepherds are starting awkwardly at Mary... Joseph is chillin with the angel... every year it could be something new. We have fun with it. :)

    3. We get to unpack our stocking before mom & dad get out of bed. This allows us to get a good sugar high on before they stir.

    4. We do Christmas with my Dad's family the night of Christmas, and my Mom's family the day after. This year that has been condensed all into one day due to scheduling conflicts, but it's all good. I just love seeing everyone and having fun!

    5. There's always more when you sit and think about it... traditions litter this season like confetti in the streets of NY after the ball drops. Have a Merry Christmas everyone!

    ReplyDelete