1.28.2013

Word of the Month: Direction

Friends,

So I took a break for the holidays. That is: Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve Eve, Christmas, New Years, and my birthday. So, a pretty long break. (Maybe I've written about holidays so often in previous years that I needed to actually just live some.)

My goal is to update Tangent Space(s) about once a week. Taking a 2-month break is obviously counterproductive to that. So, let's make a deal: I'll do my best to start now with one blog post per week, and in turn you simply agree to read and comment on everything I write, ask meaningful questions, add hilarious commentary, promote my blog everywhere you go, and take about 15 minutes per week to think of and send me topic ideas.

Deal!

But right now, I'm going to hop on a train a fellow blogger from my church is starting. It's a monthly blogging exercise in which you take one word and write about it however you want. Now, before I start, I want to admit/complain that the marketing for this campaign is decidedly feminine:

hashtag #awordwithyou (seriously)

And yet, this will hopefully prove to be just the push I need to start back up. The word for January is... direction.


What's up with One Direction?
On their website, they refer to themselves as '1D'

When I was in elementary school, my main concern was being cool. In third or fourth grade, I learned that Boyz II Men were cool. I promptly asked for their music and soon received the album II on cassette tape.

One day in fourth grade, a classmate asked me what my favorite Boyz II Men songs were. The only ones I could remember in the moment were "I'll Make Love to You" and "Yesterday" (Beatles cover). I waited nervously, wondering how easy it would be for the world to see through my thinly veiled ruse, my forced popularity-aimed fanhood of a band whose lives and lyrics were like a foreign language to me.

The boy, whose particular opinion counted a lot in determining a kid's popularity, nodded and said, "Yeah, I love 'Yesterday'." Whew.

Looking back with my 27- 28-year-old mind, I have a few observations about that hilarious scene:
  1. We all cared way too much about popularity.
  2. That kid could have been quasi-faking his love of Boyz II Men too! What if none of us actually understood or liked their music!? One person could have seen something on TV about how cool they were...
  3. The thing, though, is that Boyz II Men actually was pretty awesome. To a less legit extent, so was All-4-One. But then something terrible happened in the mid-90s. In about 1995-1996, these two groups essentially lost their mojo. This left a gaping hole in the music scene for 2 all-male vocal groups. In 1997, those spots were filled... by the Backstreet Boys and *NSYNC.
  4. While it was standard operating procedure for girls to love these late-90s boy bands and for guys to hate them, of course we all secretly loved to jam out to their catchy hits, provided no one was around to see us. That's the thing about catchiness-- it doesn't matter if the thing is of terrible value to society or you personally. You get sucked in. See also: Britney Spears, Taylor Swift, Michael Crichton, John Grisham, Storage Wars, Pawn Stars, etc.
All that to say, the pop boy band genre officially died in 2001. That year saw the end (in popularity and/or existence) of *NSYNC, Backstreet Boys, 98 Degrees, and O-Town. Finally, after 5 long years of assault on adolescent ears, the war was over. Boy bands had gone the way of the buffalo...

...until...

The Boy Band Zombie uprising of 2011!! (The seeds of which were sewn in 2010 by none other than 2 of the worst human beings to ever grace television screens, Simon Cowell and Nicole Scherz, uh, Scherzi, umm.. 'Schers not gonna work here anymore')

You probably think I'm overreacting. Maybe. But one boy band --just one-- may threaten the music and TV freedom of us all.


Comment and stuff
We had a deal!!

What is your story with the late-90s boy bands? To which one did you pledge your rabid loyalty?

Jon

13 comments:

  1. Yes! I wanted someone to write about One Direction - This was perfect. I love the boy band recap. Thanks for joining in. Please accept my apologies for the girlie logo/marketing campaign. Maybe if you get some more guys we will change it?? I love your blog + I'm glad you plan on posting more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reaching out through Gabby to get me on board! And for the encouragement! And I'm totally fine with the logo... I wanted to use it to promote the idea but didn't want people to think I'd designed it haha.

      Delete
  2. So many things....

    1: Don't hate on the "girlie" logo, and then go deep on your love of boy bands. Just saying...
    2: Boyz II Men was my first CD. 5th grade love. (favorite song: Thank You)
    3: I am obsessed with the a capella singing competition, "The Sing Off" for a ton of reasons, not the least of which is the fact that one of the judges is Shawn Stockman.
    4: My roommate in college had an O-town poster hanging above her bed. On the ceiling. Mostly as a joke.

    Glad you linked up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah I realized there was something inconsistent about slamming a girlie logo and then describing how I openly loved Boyz II Men and secretly loved NSync.

      Thanks for the comment, and I hate to repay you evil for good, but, in case you haven't heard I have to break to you some terrible news... they've canceled The Sing Off. I loved it too. Some of the groups were so good, and my sister and I rooted fiercely for the underdog Max Factor (old ladies) in season 1.

      Anyway, thanks again and great linkup idea!

      Delete
  3. Is no one going to mention 2ge+her?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm feeling like a novelist. See below.

    Firstly, with regards to our little deal up there. I have read every post on this blog (and made some similarly stalker-esque comments). I have asked meaningful questions (http://tangentspaces.blogspot.com/2012/02/hard-lessons-on-singleness.html). I have added hilarious commentary (http://tangentspaces.blogspot.com/2012/05/bachelors-guide-to-home-decorating.html). I have promoted your blog most everywhere I go (usually it goes like this- "Hey, yeah, my boyfriend? Yeah, he's great, sorry you can't meet him because Pittsburgh isn't Chicago, but he has a blog!"), boom. And not only have I spent the requisite 15 A&R minutes per week, I have submitted actual posts (see the unpublished "Five of the Best Things* about Jon Mathieu", 10.10.12).

    Take THAT, number one commenter, Mr. Tim Moreland. (You're going down.)

    (Also, hey Jon, could you hyperlink those for me? Thanks.)

    Having said all of that. One post per week. Keep your end, or pay the tax, Mathieu. (I don't even know what that means, but I imagine it having something to do with leg casts and shady deals.)

    Anyway, out of a desperate devotion to One Direction, I've been boycotting this comments section. Alas, I'm bored.

    So... a couple of things.

    1. While I did have quite the crush on NKOTB when I was 5, the stoic sensibilities of later years prevented any such girly ridiculousness made about the likes of Backstreet Boys, etc. Besides, who needed that crap when you could groove out to The Tony Rich Project's "Nobody Knows"? The nights were lonely, dude, and the days were so sad. Too sad for irony, apparently.

    2. And, in another ironic twist...one word: Hanson. (And then some words in parentheses: I can to this day hit every note/nonsensical syllable of MmmBop. Oh man, you are one lucky fellow.)

    And a third thing...Can we talk about Tubthumpin'? And Barbie Girl? And a bunch of suburban sixth-graders singing about Sex and Candy? Just why? To all of it-- why?

    Done. Ashley out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've long been a reader, appreciater, even promoter of this blog. I, however, have never been a commenter. Sorry Jon - my inaugural comment goes to Ashley. Ashley - you're hilarious and I am so glad that through Jon's blog I have the occasion to see some of your wit.

      Jon - you're pretty funny too.

      Delete
  5. I don't quite remember my rationale, but I was diehard *NSYNC and O-Town, and hated 98Degrees and BSB. I'm guessing my older cousins and cooler friends had a lot to do with it, and I'm positive that I could still sing every single word to every single *NSYNC and O-town song. Another fun fact: the first concert that I was allowed to go to "alone" was O-Town at Penn State..my parents dropped off my cousin and I all by ourselves!!! The memories are fading, but I've maintained for many years that it was the best concert I've ever been to; they rose from smoke and basically flew through the arena, so what could even top that?

    Also such a great point made by Ashley...HANSON! I think I finally stopped seeking the approval of others because of Hanson: my older cousins made fun of them relentlessly, but I stood my MmmBop-y ground and remained loyal for years. I knew every word to every album until I started following ska and emo bands, but alas, this is about boy bands, so that's a story for another time. Jon, maybe a post on the evolution of music tastes through high school and college?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the idea about evolving music tastes!

      The reason I didn't mention Hanson is that I don't think of them as a 'boy band'. Yes, technically they were a band made up of boys (despite our jokes in 1998 to the contrary). But when I think of boy bands, I think of guys who dance around with no instruments while they lip-sync. To hanson's credit, they actually made music.

      Delete
  6. I actually was not an avid fan of any 90's boy bands, this I attribute to having older brothers who forced their musical tastes onto myself at a young age. Also, I don't really recall music playing a large part in my social interactions in elementary/middle school (Pokemon yes, music not so much).

    That being said in my present state I wish I could say I dislike One Direction and other modern boy bands, but their music is too darn catchy. If I openly admitted to all of the songs I belted out while driving home in traffic day in and day out I would most likely have to change my name and move to another country, so for the time being I will maintain my public stance of "these bands are terrible" while secretly singing "Little Things" into my steering wheel while driving down Carson St at 3pm in the afternoon.



    edit: mini side rant, what is with these verification images that make me "prove I am not a robot" Half of the images are so tiny or blurred that ironically only a robot could read them...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried to post right after I read this last week, but posting on an Ipad is hard...but now, I'm at work, so that's a great time to post, I think.

    But of course, when I first read this, Jon, I immediately thought of my favorite memory involving Boyz II Men -- 11 year old you and Simeon singing an accapella version of "I'll make love to you" while Abby, Amy, and I danced to it. And all of it caught forever on film. Too priceless.

    However, that, and remembering NSYNC makes me think of something else -- all those lyrics that all of us were belting out as tweens were so, incredibly inappropriate. Seriously, go back and listen to almost any NSYNC song (a good example is Digital Get Down) and you will be appalled that you sang that and no one stopped you.

    Ashley beat me to it -- but I was definitely going to mention Hanson, too..how could you leave them out? They were unstoppable in 1997. I think I had approximately 200 pictures of Taylor Hanson posted in my 5th grade locker.

    Lastly, I completely agree with you about catchiness of these songs. I would love to be too mature and above things like One Direction, or a song like Call me Maybe...but I cannot help myself. When there is a beautiful sunny day...all I want to do is drive with all of my windows down belting one of these silly songs.

    Great blog, Jon...can't wait for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think the "Boy Band" trend was a bad thing until Dream Street came along. This was a band, that was pretty terrible, that was popular when I was in middle school. You may know the name Jesse McCartney better, whom I like to say was my favorite in Dream Street when everyone else said he was the least attractive of the group. That's beside the point...N'Sync had talent. I will forever love them...well, forever love Justin Timberlake because who the heck knows what any of those others guys are doing. The rest of these boy bands are simply wanna-bes, and One Direction can have all of the catchy tunes they want, they have nothing on the 90's bands.

    ReplyDelete