3.20.2012

Don't text while driving or while making an important relational decision

Friends,

Before I start in on this topic, I have about a million disclaimers to make.  A few of them include the facts that:

- I love facebook
- I love my iPhone and its sundry features
- I check my email all the time (in fact, too many times)
- There's no actual recent example of texting (etc.) that is motivating this blog post, so no need to be paranoid or suspicious (unless you broke up with me in 8th grade via a note; you know who you are)
- I'm not writing this from some moral high ground.  I'm writing it from a cocoon of blogging, texting, and emailing from which I rarely emerge

So don't read this as an attack on technology or social media.  I'm not one of those oldfangled people griping about how smartphones and the internet have robbed us of face-to-face interactions with each other.  I'll never advocate a long-term abandonment of facebook in order to free up more time for, um... honestly, I'm not even sure what else there is in life. 

And yet, and yet...


The evils of written text
I was torn between "sundry" and "divers" in that last section, but I was worried you might think I meant "more than one diver"

There are just some things [apologies, confrontations, break-ups, rejections, and the like] that need to be communicated in person.  Or, if not that, over Skype.  In the absence of physical presence or video chatting, some form of telephone.  But don't write it down.  Don't ever write it down.

The problem is, written communication, in which you don't have to look a person in the eye, is just so much easier.  And that, of course, is why we do it.  In the face of something potentially scary or nerve-racking or unpleasant, we'd much rather communicate the words without actually saying them.

The problem with that problem is, people have dignity that demands personal, actual communication. When you need to make one of these communications, I think it's a pretty simple cost-benefit analysis:

the other person's need to be dignified as a human vs. my desire to be comfortable and/or save face

And honestly, I think it pretty much comes down to how selfish we are in that moment.

In sixth grade, it was easier to ask out girls in a note instead of in person or on the phone.  So we sometimes did it that way.  It must have been much, much easier for those girls to break up with us in a note, too.  Because they often did it that way.  In high school, when we were too old for notes but before texting had been invented, we sent our friends to tell people we were mad at them, or else did it over AIM.  In college, we left a note that said, "Dishes!" on the sink.

The only thing we didn't do was make meaningful noises with our mouths to the actual people involved.

And now, in the information age, we have many more weapons in our talk-dodging arsenal.  We've graduated from wide-ruled notebook paper and post-its to texts, emails, and Facebook messages.  But the dilemma is the same, and so is the solution.

Look the person in the eye.


Please comment (ironically in written text form)
But there's no dilemma, unless you're planning on breaking up with me via a blog comment

Do you struggle with this communication dilemma?

Have you been hurt by a text that should have been a meeting? 

Am I making all of this up?

Jon



14 comments:

  1. Not to mention the fact that written communication is misinterpreted wayyyy too often. Granted, hopefully those text breaker uppers are putting a lot of thought into what they're writing. Even so...bad news.

    Also, thank you for repurposing the word "divers" for me. You are right that I would have been confused. Not thinking that it meant more than one diver, but that you chose to drop the "se" from "diverse."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I have to mention that I am incredibly self-conscious when I comment here that I will make some egregious grammatical error. And I also try to use big words like egregious (which I'm pretty sure means "big, bad, awful" in this context....)

      Delete
  2. Love this post! You always make me laugh. Also, I am guilty - I was a courier for a middle school break up note. It was written in blue highlighter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The only thing we didn't do was make meaningful noises with our mouths to the actual people involved."


    and that's where Siri comes in. problem fixed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jon, listen... you’re awesome. You really are... awesome. I’m just like super busy right now, so... maybe we should just... call it a day. But you’re awesome...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim, thanks for hitting a homerun off of that soft toss I threw.

      Isn't it interesting how often break-ups focus on the awesomeness of the other person? Um, if I'm that awesome...

      Delete
    2. I'm more than a little bummed that I didn't read this post in time to make this exact same comment. Well done, Mr. Moreland.

      I was also hoping to find a way to include check-boxes.

      Delete
  5. Coincidentally enough, your name is Jon, as in "Dear Jo(h)n Letter"

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha Tim^

    notes were huge all the way through high school, when we would slip them into people's lockers with super important messages we couldn't verbalize

    I mainly love this because of the included AIM logo, as I may be the only person over the age of 15 that still uses it semi regularly

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear brother, you are very wise always. Thanks for this post in time of need--a great reminder that I almost forgot to do, and will not just be a reminder, but always remember to do. I admire you truly! And I like that "no dilema"-something like math!

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jingjing!! Math majors unite!

      Delete
  8. I love that you tend to end with questions; my responses nearly write themselves. Except that I have to actually think of them and write them. Come to think of it, that phrase is ridiculous, but my answers were easy.

    1. Yes.

    2. Yes. (Sidenote - this particularly sticks in my craw...even though I'm not entirely sure where or what that is. Long ago, in a college far, far away in VA I was nearly broken-up-with via AIM/phone by my then-girlfriend who still lived in WV. I came to discover that she had cheated on me last fall, and so I did the actual deed. But the point remains that I was only a week returned from holiday where we were often together and during which time she completely failed to mention anything about this. So the answer is very much yes.)

    3. No.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like I'm telling you that our relationship has ended every time I forget my packet for discipleship. Although I do have the courage to tell you in person and not through text or written letter.

    ReplyDelete