2.17.2011

Wikipedia: the mother of all tangents

As much as I like to write, I like to write for me (and you), not "the man."  So when I was in college, I (somewhat subconsciously) scheduled classes that would force me to write as few papers as possible.  This was made easier by the facts that I was a math major and that WVU gave me like 400 hours of credit for AP tests in fields that would have made me write a lot of papers.

But when, O reader, I was forced to write a paper that required even the slightest amount of research, the first thing I did was consult with wikipedia.  You might think this was shoddy scholarship, maybe even an affront to educators everywhere.  I would defend myself with how that was only the first step in a lengthy, rigorous research process, but A. that's outside the scope of this blog entry, and B. I'm not sure it's true.

I mention all this merely to say that I've had plenty of experience reading wikipedia.  And not just for "fun."  As I was recently using the site (more on that in a second), I realized it is the greatest generator of tangents of all time.  And since tangents are sort of our business here, I decided this blog needed to pay homage to the free online encyclopedia.



An example of wikipedia's awe-inspiring tangent production

Recently Kmech -- a friend of mine and faithful reader of Tangent Space(s) -- suggested I write something interesting about language and/or words (still working on it).  My first thought was that I could write about "auto-antonyms"; an auto-antonym "is a word with multiple meanings, one of which is defined as the reverse of one of its other meanings."  This deals with words, and I'll be darned if it's not riveting.

So I went to the wikipedia page (feel free to follow along if you like).  And look how many tangents wikipedia presented me with, primarily via links to other wikipedia pages:
  1. First of all, right off the bat, I'm told that auto-antonym is just one of many items on a wikipedia page called "English words with uncommon properties."  Gotta go there.
  2. Secondly, while this doesn't give an actual tangential link to follow, I'm given a list of other names for auto-antonym.  Here it is: autantonym, contranym, contronym, antagonym, Janus word, self-antonym, and enantiodrome.  How can I not ponder how there could be so many names for the same thing?
  3. The last name there, enantiodrome, should not be confused with a link they provide to me -- enantiodromia, which is "the Jungian principle of equilibrium."  If you are on that page and don't click that link, you lack basic human curiosity.
  4. Then, in what is a relatively short article on this word type, there are over 35 links to other wikipedia articles.  Over 35!  And I don't know who can pass up such obvious clicks as "crossbows", "co-opetition", and "Queen Ann."
  5. Tangent-within-a-tangent, but still a number on this list: One of the 35+ links is for "neologism."  It's a term for a word that is new and in the process of being added to common use in a language.  When I saw it, it rang a bell, but I couldn't remember why.  And then it came to me: wikipedia uses this word all the time.  As proof of this, I submit to you the webcomic xkcd.com making fun of wikipedia.
What's my point?  Well, I couldn't possibly focus on auto-antonyms when Queen Ann is shooting crossbows at me and there are huge words like enantiodromia.  Tangent overload.


Wikipedia and you

I offer a suggestion and a question(s):
  • If you're ever in the mood for a tangent and I haven't updated this blog since your last read, head over to the free online encyclopedia and travel down whatever rabbit holes catch your attention.
  • What has been your experience with wikipedia?  Have you ever used it for school?
Jon


6 comments:

  1. First of all, you're an incredible writer. This blog is one of my new favorite finds.

    Second, I LOVE Wikipedia tangent following. I'm glad that there are others out there who share my nerdy proclivities!

    Third, I teach and tutor undergrad stats, and have done some consulting on research projects for professors/other grad students, and I TOTALLY use wikipedia as a starting point for more advanced topics. I feel ashamed every time. But I do it anyway. Wikishame can't hold me back from knowledge! (Yes, I know how nerdy that is.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a history major, I would have been ostracized for siting Wikipedia. The fear of being laughed out of the department kept me from ever using the site for academics, but I do recognize its entertainment value.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude! Great post! I like to play this game at work when I'm bored that deals precisely with wikipedia tangents! I start by thinking of a page that I'd like to end up on - say Wheeling, WV. Then I hit the "random article" link. From there, I'm allowed to follow any link on the page that comes up and any subsequent page, or I can hit "random article" again. I keep repeating this until I end up on the page I first thought of. The fewer the clicks, the better. I only count clicks, not time, so along the way I read any of the articles that seem interesting. It's a great way to pass time, learn a little bit, and goof around. I know, I'm a nerd.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wiki-wiki-wuuut!!?

    I love Wikipedia. I'm the kind of person that if given the choice on goole between Encarta and Wikipedia, I'd click on Wikipedia. Does the encarta encyclopedia still exist?? The Wikipedia page does!! :)

    I am often waaay to busty to follow the other links, but definitely use it as my one stop shop for anything information related. (everything.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just discovered today that the rhetorical device I (and many people) overuse by adding an ellipsis to an end of a sentence or thought to imply that there is more to be said but leaving it up to the reader to use his/her/shis imagination to complete that thought is called an aposiopesis by happening upon it through Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aposiopesis). Immediately thought about this 4.5 month-old blog post when that happened.

    ReplyDelete