8.20.2012

My Top 5 Pixar Movies

Friends,

There are many types of movies, and I love most of them. Chick flicks, sci-fi, mysterious spy movies starring Matt Damon, baseball movies... I like almost every movie. One genre I've never really loved is documentaries (though I always appreciate a good mockumentary), mainly because they're slow-paced and about real stuff. But one pretty awesome documentary was The Pixar Story, mainly because it was about the inception of a brand-new movie genre-- CGI-animated features. [For the record, I actually meant the plain old usage of 'inception', not some crazy animation within an animation within an animation.]

Pixar has cranked out some amazing movies in its 17 year run at feature films. In fact, narrowing this list down to five was extremely difficult, and I had to leave off a movie that had me literally crying in the first 20 minutes.



Pixar-ception
If I made this a list within a list within a list, I wonder if you'd agree

5. Monsters, Inc. (2001)
I've always loved this movie. Maybe it's because I'm a man, and thus used to be a boy, and boys love monsters. Maybe it's because Billy Crystal's voice takes me back to a simpler time when I was 5-10 years old watching movies I was too young to understand. Maybe it's because of the uncanny resemblance my friend Hannah and I bear to Sully and Boo.

I'm the big one.


4. Finding Nemo (2003)
This, along with the next movie on this list, is one of those movies that, if you explained the plot without my actually watching it, I would roll my eyes and make fun of it. An overprotective fish loses his gimpy fish son and travels across an ocean, aided by a fish with no long-term memory, to find him. I'm rolling my eyes just reading that. But kudos to Pixar for adding in enough delightful sharks, sea turtles, and birds to make this a funny, touching, epic adventure.




3. Ratatouille (2007)
Once again, just a ludicrous premise: a rat who loves to cook finds a way to do it by hiding in an incompetent human chef's hat and controlling him via his hair. Typing that, I feel like I'm playing Beyond Balderdash and inventing a plot synopsis for something like Mmm, Tastes Like Cheese! or Who Let the Rat Out of the Hat? But this movie actually works really well, probably because of the relatability of how one's dreams can seem so far out of reach.




2. The Incredibles (2004)
Two words: super heroes. Sixty-one more words: like the awesome WB->CW classic Smallville, the appeal of this movie to me is the examination of what it might actually be like to be super. How would a family function if its parents were super heroes and its children were developing powers? And of course, there's plenty of action when awesomely lame (or lamely awesome?) villain Syndrome hits the scene.




1. Toy Story 1 & 3 (1995, 2010; I never saw the second one)
I wanted to put this somewhere else on the list because it's 'the obvious choice.' Isn't it funny how we want to do that? We want to say the best Weezer album is Maladroit or that Thanksgiving is our favorite holiday. There's something about being original or rogue that appeals to us so much that we would ignore the facts right in front of us. Woody. Buzz. That awesome race car. These characters are classics, and when the sequels are only made every 5 years, they don't get old.




Honorable mention: Up (2009) [Awesome movie. Just couldn't find room for it on the list.]

Dishonorable mention: WALL-E (2008) [Worst Pixar movie ever. The middle 40 minutes of the film almost put me to sleep several times. Maybe I'm too picky, but I like my movies to have words. Spoken words that form dialogue between characters. Most fans of the movie like to point out that the robot is really cute. Sure. That's somehow not enough.]

Your turn!
Given my obsession with your participation, I may need to develop comment-ception

Where have I gone horribly wrong?
What's your top Pixar movie(s)?

Jon

12 comments:

  1. Nice list! I was cracking up at the Monsters Inc. part..."I'm the big one"

    For whatever weird reason I didn't hate Wall-E. Only point of contention with the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I've actually seen 3.5 of these movies! Or 3.2. Or 3.6. Or some such decimal. I gotta be honest, though. As adorably appealing as this list makes you to my already biased heart, I don't understand why you'd mess with Pixar when E! is always playing re-runs of Keeping up with the Kardashians. And if Kim isn't on, trust me, Bravo's got something good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got a great knack for writing and commentary! an entertaining read, my brother! I've yet to Ratatouille, as I guess the premise/synopsis never really excited me. I shall give it a go!

    Btw Toy Story is awesome! My opinion with the Toy Storys are that they get better and better with each sequel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Solid list. Despite not having seen this movie since its release in 1998, I think A Bug's Life deserves to crack the Top 5. I would probably bump The Incredibles to make room, although people tell me I should give that movie another shot.

    I loved Finding Nemo, but Toy Story 3 has to be my top pick. That was probably the closest I've ever been to crying in a movie theater.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Up definitely should beat out Ratatouille...but good list :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. as soon as I saw the title, I thought "yes!!! A Bug's Life!!!"...so that would obviously make my top 5, if not #1. I'm embarrassed to say that I've only seen Finding Nemo and Toy Story 1 from this list though, so who knows, A Bug's Life may lose traction if I saw them all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree wholeheartedly with Dan! Up was definitely a high-contender over Ratatouille....but nice placement of Toy Story 1 & 3.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tsk tsk Jon, I almost always agree with everything you say, but you obviously have some issues with your Pixar tastes. This is, of course, because you have differing opinions from mine.

    I love Finding Nemo, but let's face it, it's just two fishes complaining for an hour and a fish. "I can't find my son!", "I can't find my father!", again and again. Fantastic by anyone else's standard, but not a Pixar top 5.

    Second, WALL•E is definitely in the top 5. Yeah, I said it. It's got a great message (We all suck and are killing ourselves, and if you subscribe to it, we're also killing the planet (I'm not much of a tree hugger, in case you can't tell)). Sure, WALL•E and EVE are cute, but the fact that they can keep an audience engaged despite (essentially) no dialogue for most of the movie speaks to how amazing the story is. Also, it may have the best soundtrack of any Pixar movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will, you've never been more wrong in your life. Its message is not great-- the amount of laziness and gluttony portrayed in the movie is far too extreme to make any meaningful commentary on life. To even say we're 'headed in that direction' betrays some sort of logical irresponsibility, I think. And your point about Wall-E wordlessly keeping an audience engaged would be more valid to me if I hadn't, as I mentioned, dozed off several times during the film. And finally, while I'm admittedly not familiar with its soundtrack, it would be tough for it to compete with Toy Story's.

      Delete
    2. Um, I don't know if you've become deluded by the land down under, but it's really not out of scope, at least for Americans, to end up in that state of laziness and gluttony (some people already have). The people in the movie are a more modern and accurate form of the Eloi from HG Wells' The Time Machine.
      And I do realize my point about the engagement of an audience fails on you, but it didn't for the millions of others that watched it (and I'm obviously not just assuming that.... :))
      Toy Story does have a great soundtrack, but it lacks the nostalgia and familiarity of the tracks selected for WALL•E, but to each his (or her) own.

      Delete
    3. Yes Will, surely we can 'agree to disagree' on Wall-E (and the meaning of "San Diego"). But I will say that it IS completely out of scope for Americans to end in that state. Maybe I remember the movie incorrectly (I did sleep through parts of it), but people never, ever walked. They remained forever in a reclined position watching screens and eating. It's absurd. It's so absurd that it passes from the range of cautionary tale to that of a movie you sleep through.

      Delete
  9. http://bestdemotivationalposters.com/pixar-vs-twilight/

    ReplyDelete