1.11.2011

Nostalgic Tangent series: music

I rarely yearn to be a developmental psychologist (if that's even a real term), but now is one of those times.  Because as I think back on my childhood music phases, I'm noticing that they occurred later in life than last post's TV phases or next post's movie obsessions.  Truth be told, I had very few "childhood" music faves, just a bunch of obnoxious adolescent ones.

Why is that?  Referring back to my opening sentence, I'm guessing it has to do with the development of our minds.  Kids have ample time to watch TV and are drawn in, entranced, to moving things.  But what context is there in a kid's life for music?  They don't have the patience to just sit around listening to music, and so if they have favorite songs, they're probably from Barney or some wretched Mickey Mouse detective show (much to the chagrin, I'm sure, of parents and older siblings).

Well, enough pretend psychology.  Here were my major musical phases growing up.  Be warned: they're going to shock you.


My ridiculous list of favorite musical performers while I was growing up

Phase 1 (1993-1994): Billy Joel



My early love of Billy Joel was the result of three factors:
  1. I was the age when I started to like music
  2. My dad was a huge Billy Joel fan and would often play his records for me
  3. Billy Joel rules
And in case there's any doubt, I mean that third one.  Yeah, he has some annoying songs ("Uptown Girl" comes to mind), but he has some awesome ones as well.  One of my favorites is "The Ballad of Billy the Kid", the first line of which is

"From a town known as Wheeling, West Virginia, rode a boy with a six gun in his hand."

That line alone compels me to love Billy Joel.
  • [Tangent-within-a-tangent: I have postulated a Billy Joel Hypothesis.  It states that if you visit an establishment in Pittsburgh, PA that plays a loop radio of pop music, you will hear a Billy Joel song during your time there.  I don't know which song, and I don't care how short your visit it.  You'll hear one.]


Phase 2 (1995-1997): Boyz II Men



For those of you who know me now but didn't in 1996, which probably accounts for 99% of people reading this, this will be a huge surprise.  But believe me, or at least believe my Boyz II Men cassette tapes, that I was a huge fan.

But there are consequences to every action, and being a fan of an R&B group at age 10 is no exception.  There is a hilarious-- and I mean uproariously funny, embarrassing, horrifying, amazing, and profoundly disturbing-- home video of me and my cousins, circa 1995, in which my cousin Simeon and I sing "I'll Make Love to You" as the musical accompaniment for our cousins' dancing.  I don't know about Simeon (who was a player from a young age), but I definitely didn't know what making love was at age 10. 

I just sang about it.



Phase 3 (1998-1999): Bad Religion


I will probably devote at least one blog entry someday to the craziness of middle school.  Isn't it amazing that almost everyone, especially girls, hated middle school?  But I won't let myself get carried too far away on that tangent.

For me, middle school wasn't too bad.  And for that, I mainly have to thank my then-best friend Brett.  At a time when other middle schoolers were... well honestly I have no idea what they were doing... Brett and I would sit in his basement and ponder metaphysics, mathematics, Jesus, and women.  I'm serious.  That's what we did.

In addition to making my middle school years unique, nerdy, and cool, Brett introduced me to a lot of music.  Foremost among this music was Bad Religion.

Ironically, the person who probably laid the most groundwork in those years for me to know God also introduced me to a band whose logo is an X-ed out cross.



Phase 4 (1999-2000): Dave Matthews Band


I won't go into much detail here.  Dave Matthews Band's first three studio albums were incredible, and they were even better live.  But beyond just the music, the rampant popularity of DMB eliminated all middle ground and forced all my peers and me to choose a side:
  • DMB-lover: You had to go to one DMB concert every 18 months, listen to them at least once a week, and complain about how the radio was killing "Crash" by overplaying it.
  • DMB-hater: Your only rule was mandatory complaining anytime a DMB song came on the radio, a DMB fan droned on about their awesomeness, or a "DMB" bumper sticker was spotted on a car.
I chose to love.


What about you?

What music did you grow up on?
Please comment.  I get lonely.

Jon

12 comments:

  1. Crap I'm old!

    1960's - Beatles, mamas & Papas, Herman's Hermits, Bob Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel, Stones
    1970's - Doobies, Eagles, Billy Joel, Heart, Elton John, Dave Mason

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was hoping you'd admit your current love for SB.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog, Jon! Haha. I must say, my favorite music memory has to be dressing up as the Spice Girls and singing all of their songs that we, of course, knew by heart. Jen always being Baby, me being Ginger, Jen's friend Ashley being Scary, and Amy (being forced to participate) would be Sporty. This ridiculous skit would go on for hours...until we were not longer able to sing. :)

    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great blog Jon! Boyz II Men was my first CD. I had some time to think about my favorite songs back in the day.. :)

    Can we bring back the mid-late 90's and early 2000's?

    Right Here, Right Now - Jesus Jones
    3 A.M Eternal - The KLF
    More Than Words - Extreme
    Gonna Make You Sweat - C+C Music Factory
    Baby, Baby - Amy Grant
    Here Comes The Hotstepper - Ini Kamoze
    Just Another Day & If You Go - Jon Secada
    Regulate - Warren G
    Poison - Bell Biv DeVoe
    King of Wishful Thinking - Go West
    Good Vibrations - Marky Mark
    Jam & Remember The Time - Michael Jackson
    Set Adrift on Memory Bliss - PM Dawn
    Crazy & Kiss From A Rose - Seal
    Tennessee - Arrested Development
    Motownphilly & Water Runs Dry - Boyz II Men
    Hey Jealousy - Gin Blossoms
    Live and Learn - Joe Public
    Real Love - Mary J
    Under The Bridge - Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Whoomp There It Is - Tag Team
    Comedown & Glycerine - Bush
    Linger - Cranberries
    You Gotta Be - Des'ree
    Dreams - Gabrielle
    Stay - Lisa Loeb
    Feel Me Flow - Naughty By Nature
    Lump - Presidents of USA
    I Believe - Blessed Union of Souls
    Show Me Love - Robyn
    1979 & Tonight - Smashing Pumpkins
    Don't Speak - No Doubt
    Hypnotize & Mo Money - B.I.G
    You Make Me Wanna & My Way - Usher
    The Freshmen - Verve Pipe
    Gettin' Jiggy Wit It - Will Smith
    Barely Breathing - Duncan Sheik
    If You Could Only See - Tonic
    The Only One For Me & Anytime - Brian McKnight
    World I Know - Collective Soul
    Best Things in Life Are Free & Get Lonely & Got Till Gone - Janet Jackson
    Larger Than Life & The Call - Backstreet Boys
    Stranded - Plumb
    So Into You - Tamia
    Truly, Madly, Deeply - Savage Garden
    Slide - Goo Goo Dolls
    One Sweet Day & Always Be My Baby & Fantasy & Breakdown & Honey - Mariah Carey (geez..didn't realize how much Mariah I like)
    Love You Down - INOJ

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this line of tangents! Fun Facts: When I was really little my older cousins made me sing along to Tiffany, Madonna, and Paula Abdul, and it usually digressed into wordless interpretive dance. My first tape was Mr. Big, supplied by my father. And I went through a serious rap/hip hop phase in 5th and 6th grade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michael Pamer1/11/11, 8:08 PM

    Did you and Sim wear matching Tommy Hilfigger jean shorts and a maroon sport coat while you sang?
    Your list is quite good. Billy Joel and Boyz II Men are still listened to on occasion. (Mostly referring to Billy).
    The Pamer household, believe it or not, had an even more random collaboration of music, which consequently made my music choices something to loopback at and laugh.
    I'm talking Roxette, to Guns N' Roses, to Ace of Base! It's funny though, these songs I haven't heard for years come on, and I'm still capable of singing every word! Minus the sex appeal you and Simeon would give!
    Keep up the blogs Jon! I enjoy reading them! We are praying for you and your ministry! Mike and Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  7. Early on, I was a radio-listener with my first obsession actually being in country music (something I don't listen to much anymore), but my sister and I would have good times listening to Froggy (I still maintain, though, that LeAnn Rimes' "Blue" is a fantastic song). Later, I remember a phase of listening to Top-40 radio, and what a great time to do so: mid-90s. Who doesn't love "Livin' la Vida Loca", Eiffel 65's "Blue" (there must be something about that color...), and "Mambo No. 5"?

    After that, I moved on to my middle school phase. My dad got me into good Christian music (and by good I mean well-performed, not so much in the wholesome sense, although it was this too). Now, some may ask, "There's good Christian music?" Shocking, I know it must be, but some of it is and a lot of it isn't the generic, buzzword CCM praise and worship (although there is some use to that). No, you've gotta look for Christian music that sounds like real music, but with Christian themes and lyrics. I can do without the 7-11 songs (same seven words, repeated eleven times to end the song like every p&w song). Anyway, I was into the heavier stuff, so this included East West, Disciple, Demon Hunter, among others.

    After this phase came my current state of looking for any and every type of music I can find and listening to as much as possible, with the emphasis on good stuff (yes, again good means high-quality) and the more I listen, the more I realize that the oldies are where it's at. I think Pink Floyd has been cemented as my favorite band of all-time now (in terms of my tastes) and The Beatles are the greatest band of all-time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. my Billy Joel phase started at literally the same time, for literally the same reasons. It has never ended though. Then came mid-90's alternative rock, out of which green day reigned supreme. that also included the awesome ska phase that lasted for about 14 months. I pretty much kept listening to that until college, where I started to listen to a bunch of acoustic/piano based stuff like something corporate. since graduating college, it's been a lot of classic rock, like Jackson browne and bob segar. these weren't so much phases, though, as much as they were additions. also, growing up so near DC, hip hop and top 40 was unavoidable, while country music had to be sought out aggressively. the result is that I like lame sounding pop music, and hate country. and metal. country and metal are pretty the only genres I don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh gosh, music was SO segmented in my life..I remember specific people that introduced me to each and every phase!

    my first favorites were Ace of Base and No Doubt, thanks to my older cousins.
    3rd grade: Spiderwebs by No Doubt..I was super cool because I borrowed the CD to take to school for a party.
    4th grade: Inside Out by Eve 6, which I got to request at my birthday party at a skating rink
    5th grade: anything by Hanson, which was probably the band I was the most "bought into"
    6th grade: Baby One More Time by Britney Spears, which I performed in the talent show with my best friend
    7th grade: Anything O-Town or N'Sync, my first 2 real concerts (I contend to this day that O-Town put on the best show ever)
    Junior High becomes blurry, and I go through weird stages of loving JaRule and Pearl Jam, culminating in a multi-year punk/ska kick...went to Warped Tour for a few summers, sporting the black Nirvana shirt and all. Some of these favorites have stuck, like Jack's Mannequin, Taking Back Sunday, Punchline, and The Spill Canvas, but for the most part, the stuff I still listen to out of all these phases is what my dad played, like classic rock and 90's stuff like Red Hot Chili Peppers and Gin Blossoms...and of course the chill stuff like John Mayer and Mat Kearney

    oh, and pretend psychology?! developmental psych is my major, thank you very much...and if I went to class, I would have more solid answers to the initial questions you raised

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Kmech: This is a list of my childhood(ish) music phases. My current obsession with Sara Bareilles, while awesome, missed the timeline by 10 years.

    @Z: The "pretend psychology" remark is not referring to the field of developmental psych, but the preceding paragraph of my musings.

    @everyone else: Thanks for the comments! Awesome memories, thorough musical autobiographies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ahhh!!! I need to go re-watch the boys to men video! it ranks right up there with my favorite home movies, such as abby singing the i love you barney song in "spanish." I am right with Abby on the Spice Girls...I was mildly obsessed. Same goes with Hanson and *Nsync. Yeah, I have great taste in music =)

    Great blog, Jon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness! Love this blog!!!

    Ok, my early early childhood consisted of classic 90's Christian music (DC Talk for life!!!). Like you, Jon, I was raised on Billy Joel. We have discussed this before. No need to elaborate on my love for him. I was also raised on Chicago as well. I LOVED classic rock and oldies. I was obsessed with John Mellencamp, The Eagles, Jackson Browne, MJ, The Beatles, Steve Miller, Elton, CCR...etc. I was on old soul as a child.

    Then I went through my diva phase (and classic middle school girl phase).... Mariah, Celine, Whitney...Gloria Estefan was my first CD haha. I'll throw a little Janet into the mix too. Like Sara Z, I loved me some Britney and N*SYNC. Backstreet Boys. Boyz II Men. (I love that you loved them! haha) Christina Aguilera. Spice Girls was my first "illegal" CD. My best friend got it for me for my bday and my mom was not happy.

    Oh geez, other great late 90's/early 2000's music... Blessed Union of Souls, Matchbox 20, Dave Matthews, Third Eye Blind, Blink-182 (LOVE), Goo Goo Dolls... the list goes on and on... There are too many to list!

    ReplyDelete